[Hidden-tech] Minidv to DVD transfer?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jul 21 13:39:51 EDT 2014

At Mon, 21 Jul 2014 12:29:00 -0400 Rich Roth <webmaster at hidden-tech.net> wrote:

>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> I think you need to get more specifics for anyone to be really helpful,
>
> if they are what we used called Hi-8 - -then it's important to know of they are analog or
> digital,
> digital is pretty easy to copy to dvd, need any video camera of the right format,
> analog needs to be converted to digital before it can be written to dvd.

I believe 'MiniDV' specificly means the 4mm *digital* video tapes, common on
recent vintage camcorders. 8mm, Hi-8, and Digital8 were never called 'MiniDV'.
And yes, 8mm and Hi-8 are analog and Digital8 is digital. All of these used
the same form factor media: 8mm (Sony) video tapes (Hi-8 and Digital8 used a
higher quality media). I don't believe 8mm camcorders are made anymore -- they
have gone the way of VHS camcorders. New camcorders are either MiniDV, direct
to DVD-R, or to SD cards.

Note: most (all?) Digital8 camcorders can read 8mm and Hi-8 (analog) and will
digitize them on the fly, and send the output via Firewire (IEEE1394) to a
computer. I believe most/all MiniDV camcorders also speak Firewire (IEEE1394)
(or else speak USB). And yes, it is pretty trivial to convert such a tape to a
DVD -- it is just a bit tidious using consumer-grade equipment. I think the
issue here is there are 50 tapes and the OP is looking for a service that will
bulk transfer them (probably using high-speed automated equipment).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933