[Hidden-tech] Cable/telephone question

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Thu Jan 30 17:25:01 EST 2014

I don't get that. I thought it was routine to be able to transfer a number.

When we went to VoIP (maybe 10 years ago?), we had our home phone with Verizon. We switched to
Earthlink TrueVoice and kept the same number. Earthlink subcontracted the physical connection with
Comcast. So, we actually have a Comcast cable modem for internet, a VoIP box that was provided by
Earthlink preconfigured, and our old fashioned land line phones that I rewired and plugged into the
VoIP box. Comcast provides the connection and throughput, but Earthlink provides all the services.

So the situation is not exactly what you have, but it is analogous. The only thing I can make out is
either that Comcast doesn't know what they are doing, or there was some legal requirement that
applied to Verizon as a former monopoly that might not apply to Charter. The first of those two
seems to me to be the most likely. The second has too much asymmetry, dispersing numbers out of
Verizon and locking them in wherever they go from there. We will see what others chime in with.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
    O__  ---- Systems Administrator