[Hidden-tech] Looking for Mac laptop donation for Zambian NGO

William Loving contact at dedicationtechnologies.com
Wed Feb 26 17:22:52 EST 2014

As many of you know, I have for a number of years been volunteering around bringing computing technology and equipment to Zambia, initially via World Computer Exchange (WCE) and more recently with New Vision for Africa, a joint US/Zambian NGO that I connected with via my work with WCE. NVFA does many projects including working with farmers to develop marketable products like honey, helping small entrepreneurs get started, helping the famous Zambian flying doctors service, and bringing computer technology and training to schools and NGOs.

A few years ago I helped facilitate the transfer six cargo containers of working computers (2400+,mostly Macs) from a school district in Maryland to Zambia. With the help of grants from UNICEF and private donors, the computers were checked out/processed, and then distributed to schools and NGOs in Zambia and teacher training provided. Funding has been sparse the last few years - including promised gov't funds failing to materialize - but they have continued on.

The founder and director of New Vision for Africa, Abednego Mambwe, is currently in the US for a few months to renew connections and do fund-raising. The donated MacBook Pro that I acquired for him a few years ago, was accidentally damaged beyond repair and he has been getting by for the last year+ on an old PowerPC desktop  machine. As he must travel a great deal within Zambia, having a laptop significantly assists his work.

What we need: a working, Intel-based Mac laptop - MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air (used or new)

If you have an otherwise functional machine that just needs a new battery, we can probably get a cash donation to cover the cost of a replacement battery. NVFA has extremely limited funds for cash outlays but they would be willing to consider purchasing your very good condition used machine if the price is right ($300 or less).

New Vision for Africa is a US 501(c)(3) incorporated non-profit and also a government-registered charity organization in Zambia. We can provide a tax receipt for any donation received. You can be assured that it will be going to a good cause.

Please contact me directly at the email below if you would consider giving your old Mac laptop a second life in Zambia.

Sincerely,

Will

Will Loving, President
Dedication Technologies, Inc.