[Hidden-tech] Anyone know how to reach a human being by phone at gmail support?

Lynne Rudié lynnerudie at verizon.net
Wed Dec 10 13:39:04 EST 2014

Hi Hidden-Techies
	I believe it's true that Google makes a point of being un-reachable by non-business customers, and there may be no way around it. However, and for whatever it's worth, I'll share a tactic I have used successfully with several other corporate entities.
	If you can't get through to the person or department that you need to reach, find ANY number for ANY person or office at that entity and call it. When you finally have a "real" person on the phone, admit right away that that you know they aren't the person who can help you with your problem. Then describe what you have done to try to reach the appropriate person, express your frustration and/or despair (or whatever emotion you feel like describing) and then say you called their number as a last resort and hope that they can connect you to someone who CAN help you. In other words, make it easy for them to be your hero.
	In my experience, you can always reach someone in sales, and salespeople love to be helpful, especially when they work for a corporate entity that is invested in not being helpful to existing customers. Sales people often, it turns out, have connections to upper level customer or tech support that you would never be able to reach, even if the lower levels of support were easy to contact.
	And if all you can find is the main, corporate headquarters, the phone will be answered by someone whose job it is to forward calls appropriately. If the number you are forwarded to turns out to be a dead end, call the first person back, apologize for bothering them again, and say you hit a dead end. Ask if there is anyone else they can connect you to and chances are they will. Profuse thanks are always in order.
	This is, admittedly, a little bit devious but not really dishonest. (right?) I've never tried it with Google but if the spam blocker solution doesn't work it might be worth a try. I'd love to hear if you get through to anyone.
	Good luck!
	Lynne

Lynne Rudié
Graphic Design