[Hidden-tech] 'SEO Marketing sales pitches': scams or what?

Tim Boudreau niftiness at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:12:32 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Max Hartshorne <editorial at gonomad.com>
wrote:

> I heard the same thing about SSL, and with Media Temple, our hosts, we can
> get one for GoNOMAD for $75, well worth it if it pushes us higher in
> natural searches. I can see this being easily applied to all search results
> even though now its just on a small percentage of sites.

FYI, you can get an SSL cert for as cheap as $9/year:
https://www.namecheap.com/security/ssl-certificates/comodo.aspx
and with most web servers it takes at most a couple of minutes to install.
 For basic SSL certs, there's nothing that makes more expensive certs twice
as tasty - they're either trusted by your browser or they're not.

Google is using SSL as a ranking signal, but not a very significant one:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2014/08/https-as-ranking-signal.html

If you do anything that requires a login / password, you should be using
SSL, period - without it, your users are sharing their passwords with
anyone on the same network or the pipe between them and your servers.

If you don't do anything requiring login, the main thing SSL does for you
is mean someone can't create a fake version of your site and hijack DNS to
send users there instead (without that, any, say, internet cafe or other
network could do that and people would be none the wiser).  It depends what
you're doing whether this is something worth worrying about or not.

-Tim