[Hidden-tech] State mandates on Windows XP?

Bram Moreinis bram at gamefacewebdesign.com
Wed Apr 2 18:01:49 EDT 2014

I don't think "vulnerability" needs to be in quotation marks....anybody
who is paid to be responsible for machine security will want to get away
from legacy system support.

On the other hand, some public-funded places are pretty resource-poor
right now and can't afford to update all their systems to support fresh
Windows...and these same folks don't pay fancypants tech support to keep
their machines secure and running and CERTAINLY can't pay people to
master open source.

I think there are many opportunities out there for Linux-lovers to
volunteer to take on IT infrastructures in public-funded or nonprofit
shops in return for their pledge to abandon Windows XP - are there folks
on this list willing to sign up for that good Samaritanship?  That would
be a great project for students in community colleges.... I won't hold
my breath waiting though.

In Vermont, where I lived the last two years, there was an expression
common to all hardscrabble farmer communities: "Use it up, wear it out,
make it do, or do without."  Those folks will NOT be trashing their
Microsoft XP machines, unless they have enough Linux supporters, until
that security flaw exposes itself big time and forces their hand, I reckon.

If you can switch out of XP, you will, and if you can't, you won't ...
until you experience why you have to. So no doubt there are some MS
people working on some highly contagious XP exploits for those who would
rather fight than switch.

I don't think I buried a recommendation anywhere in there, aside from
organizing young people to support Linux in schools (I've done that,
http://hvscouts.com, and would volunteer to help if someone asked and
had the kids).

-Bram

I work for a non profit that takes state money.  Has anyone heard if the
state is going to mandate that anyone with a state contract will be
required to get rid of their XP computers?    Or anything else in the
pipeline for the state requiring people to move away from XP? Here at
umass we have a policy that any XP system after April 8th will become a
"vulnerability" and will be banned from being on the network.

--
Game Face Web Design Logo <http://www.gamefacewebdesign.com>

      Game Face Web Design

Bram Moreinis, Principal