[Hidden-tech] Stand/accessory for standing desk

Allen Belkin albelkin at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 16:01:29 EDT 2014

Hi Jeff,

Here's what I use:

I started with a nice solid core door that I got from freecycle on top of
two two-drawer file cabinets. That made a regular desk a little over 30"
high, for sitting in a regular office chair.

When I wanted a standing desk, I found four bed risers that they sell to
raise up dorm beds for making storage room underneath. They are about 6"
high and have recesses on top where the bed legs would go. I cut blocks of
scrap wood to fit into the recesses.

I found a board at Ikea that looks like butcher block (but it's just
unfinished pine), about 24" x 47" x 1" thick.  It's a lot more sturdy than
plywood would be but maybe a good cabinet-grade plywood would be ok. I
polyurethaned it to protect from spills, then attached the blocks of scrap
wood to the bottom corners of this board.

So the bed risers sit on top of my original desk (door) and the blocks of
wood now attached to the board nestle in the recesses in the bed risers.
The bed risers have a couple of holes in the bases so they can be screwed to
the door to make it even more sturdy.

This gives me a double decker desk - papers, telephone, laptop in a docking
station, etc. can go underneath the board where they are relatively out of
the way but easily accessible. Since the top board is smaller than the door,
there is space on either end of the door for bigger things like a printer,
or just for more work space.

I bought a drafting chair with a foot rest that rises to a height where I
can either sit or lean or just stand at the desk.

Hope this is helpful ..

Allen Belkin

Custom Software Solutions