[Hidden-tech] Looking for a *cheap* *used* Mac...

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Nov 25 12:12:15 EST 2013

I am looking for a cheap/used Mac.  I need one that can run at least 10.7,
preferably new enough to run even more recent versions of [Mac]OSX.  I don't
need a keyboard, mouse, or monitor, just the bare *working* box with power
cord.  I don't need *any* desktop applications, since I will be downloading
and installing the application build toolchain (gcc/g++, binutils, make,
autotools, etc.) and use this machine as a 'build box'.  I can't afford a new
MacMini ($700, ouch!) and I am finding even E-Bay is a bit out of my budget.

I need something I can toss into my backpack to carry someplace with high
speed Internet so I can download software, since I only have dial-up at my
home office, so an iMac is not an option.  A (relatively new) MacBook might
do, if it will run 'headless' (can be configured not to sleep/hibernate when
the lid is closed).  A MacMini is probably ideal.  I don't need either lots of
RAM (1gig would be plenty) or a large hard drive.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com