[Hidden-tech] Chrome and slow bandwidth

Tim Boudreau niftiness at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 17:09:38 EST 2013

Browser performance usually has a lot more to do with how a website is
written (i.e. did they do the things you're supposed to do to minimize
bandwidth, such as HTTP using cache headers correctly) than what browser
you use.  There are some differences in things like javascript performance,
but for javascript, Chrome has (or recently had) by far the best
performance of any browser out there.

I use Chrome daily, in Shutesbury, for a variety of sites, as well as
Safari and Firefox occasionally;  Chrome performs quite well.  The
rendering engine used by both Chrome and Safari - the thing that turns HTML
into what you see on screen - is actually the same (I think they recently
diverged, but still 95% of the code is the same).  I understand preferring
Safari, but either one is likely to do as well as the other.

-Tim