[Hidden-tech] JOB: Developer/Designer at Free Press in Florence

Hailu Dyami hdyami at freepress.net
Tue May 28 12:46:22 EDT 2013

Hi-

Free Press (freepress.net) is  seeking a developer/designer to join our digital team. Come make websites and graphics with us.

For more information check out the posting here: http://www.freepress.net/developer-and-designer. Or see below:

Position Summary: The developer and designer conceives and creates original Web designs, Drupal themes and graphical elements for FreePress.net and related campaign websites, as well as print-ready campaign identities for our ongoing public education, fundraising and organizing efforts. We are seeking a front-end developer and accomplished designer to make visually appealing and accessible websites, graphics, and materials. S/he must be ready to take on the challenge of distilling wonky concepts into easily understandable imagery. This position reports to the digital communications director and requires occasional evening and weekend work.
Position Status: Full time

Work Location: This position is based in our Florence, Mass., office. We may consider locating the position in our D.C. office or elsewhere in the U.S.

Essential Functions:

Conceive and create original Web and print-ready campaign materials and brand-identified graphical elements.
Use HTML, CSS and Javascript to develop exceptional online experiences for our visitors that are both eye-catching and accessible.
Build responsive Web interfaces that work on any browser, platform or device.
Design websites, emails and advocacy pages in Drupal and the CRM ActionKit.
Innovate new ways of communicating media and technology issues while consistently promoting the Free Press brand.
Skills and Attributes:

Must be proficient in HTML, CSS, Javascript and jQuery.
Must have an expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
Must have a portfolio of print and graphic design work.
Must have experience working with Drupal theming.
Must have the desire to design for an advocacy organization, inspiring activists and donors to join our movement.
Must have a love of responsive design and best practices to ensure browser and device compatibility.
Must have solid communication skills.
Must be able to articulate design decisions and respond to constructive criticism during the design process.
Must have a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socioeconomic circumstance.
A great sense of humor and flexibility are musts.
Minimum Qualifications:

Bachelor’s degree and/or 3–5 years experience developing graphic communications for a nonprofit or advocacy organization
An interest in media policy and activism
Strong writing and verbal communication skills
Experience working in a team environment
Compensation:

Free Press offers competitive compensation, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. Starting salary will depend on selected applicant’s experience and will be set within the context of established Free Press pay ranges for similar work.

Benefits include generous amount of vacation, health-related and personal time off each year, employer-provided group health insurance, retirement contribution, short- and long-term disability insurance and other progressive benefits and perks.

How to Apply:

Complete our online application at: http://www.freepress.net/node/104178. You’ll have the opportunity to tell us about yourself and your employment history. You will also be required to submit three samples from your portfolio.

Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and this position will remain open until filled. We anticipate a high volume of applications, so please do not contact us to inquire about your status. We will acknowledge receipt of your application and the search committee will contact applicants of interest directly.

Free Press Is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

We value excellence and diversity in our workforce. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.

Hailu Dyami
Web Developer
Free Press
www.freepress.net