[Hidden-tech] Printer Repair

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri May 24 11:50:42 EDT 2013

On 5/22/13 9:58 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Tue, 21 May 2013 12:05:47 -0400 Fred Levine <fred at smallbatchbooks.com> wrote:
>
>> My Epson 4880 printer has a clogged printhead‹I¹ve tried all the recommended
>> procedures for clearing it. Can anyone recommend a repair shop for this
>> beast? (The nearest Epson authorized service ctr is 70 miles away.)
> Amherst Typewriter in Amherst Center.
>
>> Thanks for any and all help.
>>
>> Fred

Clogged inkjets can be a real pain; and, if you use the wrong solvent type, which varies from
printer to printer, you can make it worse.

I like Amherst Typewriter and go there whenever I can. However, I didn't have any luck getting my
relatively new inkjet unclogged when I took it there a couple of years ago. It ended up being
cheaper to just replace the whole printer. Of course, the 4880 is in a different size/cost class.

I've seen decent reviews of http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/ which has solvents and kits for many
different printers. There are only a couple of entries for Epson, and it doesn't list the 4880, so
you would have to figure out if it matches one or the other of the Epson printer types for which
they have a repair kit. That would depend on matching the ink type.

Otherwise, I would go for an actual Authorized Epson repair center -
https://pos.epson.com/service/SCR.htm. Depending on where you are driving from, the one in
Manchester, NH (603-645-6100) might be closer than the one in Bellingham, MA (508-966-9018),
although the Epson Service Center locator says to call technical support first (562-276-1314) before
calling a service center. You could ask them about the ink type, solvents, and the
fixyourownprinter.com kits.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-