[Hidden-tech] Hack for Western Mass

Andrew Pasquale andrew at elytra.net
Mon May 6 08:46:34 EDT 2013

On the weekend of June 1st, 2013, web and software developers, designers,
community organizers, and other folks from all over Western Mass will
gather to tackle local challenges with technology.

The event will focus on building technical solutions, but it is not about
the technology; it’s about addressing local problems and challenges. The
goal is to produce workable solutions that improve daily life for real
people in our communities. The technical solutions we build will be built
for a purpose, not just as an exercise.

Back in January, the White House called for a national weekend of civic
hacking, and the result is Hack for Change, events across the country on
June 1-2.   On Saturday morning, we’ll be hearing “challenges” from local
organizations that can be solved through technology. Then we’ll break into
teams and get to work. The projects will depend on the challenges and could
range from visualizations and maps to APIs or customizing open source apps
created at other hackathons.

For this to work, we need the best developers, data analysts, designers,
and documenters to join us at UMass on June 1-2. If you can't commit to the
entire weekend, we could always use some "roving experts" to pitch in and
help out the teams as necessary.

If you can’t participate, you could also help by continuing to get the word
out.

Website: hackforwesternmass.org
Twitter: @HackForWestMA <https://twitter.com/hackforwestma>
Registration: http://hackforwesternmass.eventbrite.com/

Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions.

Hope to see you there!
Andrew