[Hidden-tech] Photo digitization services or scanner

Bruce Hooke bghooke at att.net
Fri May 3 15:24:03 EDT 2013

Hi Tori,

A lot depends on the image quality you need. You can simply buy a pretty decent scanner for under $100. This would give you pretty good results and for the quantity it sounds like you are talking about I suspect it would be cheaper than any commercial service (not counting your time, of course!). To get top notch results you need a better quality scanner but what you need at least as much is technical knowledge, especially around color and how to get the best color fidelity from whatever scanner you are using. The issue is not dpi (even a pretty cheap scanner will take care of this) but rather the ability of the scanner to pull out details in very dark or light areas, and the technical knowledge to set things up so the color on the computer accurately reflects the color in the prints.

Bruce

  _____