[Hidden-tech] Weird screen display issue with Dell E1505 Inspiron

bluemoon at crocker.com bluemoon at crocker.com
Thu May 2 06:52:37 EDT 2013

Hi Folks,

Wondering if anyone out there has ever run into this weird problem I
am having, which only started somewhat recently.

1. When plugged in, the screen goes dark (not black but as though
through a dark glass such as that used to view an eclipse so that if I
look hard and in the right light I can sort of see the outlines of
screen images). When this first started happening a few months ago it
would only happen after a minute or so and then it began happening
faster until now it is virtually immediate. Cycling through the
CRT/LCD options using the Fn key used to get it back reliably and now
it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (more often doesn't) but even
when it does it is only for a second or two. Closing the lid and
opening it does work and again only for that brief moment. I first
noticed it when I was using the computer at someone else's location
and thought there might have been something weird with their power
supply or their internet connection or something, especially since at
that time it was inconsistent, but I've tried it elsewhere and it is
universally consistent now.

2. I am running Windows XP Pro and notice that if I boot up when
plugged in the screen stays lit through the boot process right up (the
Windows screen image) until the "Welcome" screen appears and then
reverts to misbehaving.

3. When I am using my computer unplugged or docked with a monitor
plugged in everything is fine.

Is this weird or what? Anyway, it is obviously making it really hard
to work remotely as I only have as long as the battery lasts which
these days is from 30" to a couple of hours depending on what I am
doing.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Gary

-------

Gary Powsner/SolutionFinders
Virtual Assistant
www.linkedin.com/in/garypowsner/
Office 413-665-5011
Cell    413-537-9015

"Age may affect the physical body but it need not affect the power of
thought."

      - Dr. Forrest C. Shaklee

{o,o}     Give a hoot,