[Hidden-tech] Converting Catalogs to Digital Format

Bruce Hooke bghooke at att.net
Sun Mar 31 21:46:08 EDT 2013

Hi Tony,

If your client has or wants to have a substantial web-presence I would really encourage them to look at whether it makes sense to invest a lot into scanning the existing catalog and trying to make it function as a digital version, when at best, in my opinion, this will result in an only marginally workable online catalog. I've used website catalogs that were clearly electronic versions of a print catalog and I've yet to see one that worked at all well. It's even worse that you are talking about a very large catalog where it becomes critical to be able to find what you want reasonably effectively.

The basic problems is that the whole design and layout of a printed catalog simply is not very suitable for an online catalog. In a printed catalog it is easy to flip back and forth between and index and individual pages, and then flip through the pages of the section you want to look at. This is all pretty slow and clunky online compared to a system that is designed from the ground up to for online use. The whole point of designing for the web is that it is not a linear medium like a printed catalog.

It still takes some careful design work to create an effective online catalog, but at least it is an investment that will continue to pay off, whereas I rather suspect that if they go the scanning route they will realize in a few years that they need to go back and do what they should have done in the first place: make a proper online catalog.

I realize that the "customer is always right" and that in the end you may have to just do what they want, but I thought I'd at least raise a warning flag about the issues I see with going the direction they seem to want to go.

Best of luck,
Bruce Hooke

  _____