[Hidden-tech] info on the upcoming Western Mass podcamp

Jon Reed jonreed at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 19 17:11:16 EDT 2013

Greetings Hidden-Techies.

I wanted to make sure you are aware of the upcoming PodCamp on
Saturday, March 30:

<http://podcamp.westernma.biz/>http://podcamp.westernma.biz

The event tends to sell out. Currently there are still some tickets
for purchase left. I have an unfortunate habit of being out of town
during the Western Mass podcamps and this year may be the same but I
am still planning on buying a ticket shortly.

I am a big fan of unconferences and also a big advocate of networked
learning. Most of the positive career changes I have made in the last
ten years I can trace back to my participation at local events, be it
Hidden Tech or podcamp or developer meetups. Of course sometimes this
has meant going outside my comfort zone or even attending an event
that didn't seem to yield an immediate result, but It's pretty
amazing look back, whether it's web design or podcasting or (now)
video production and streaming, how local events and contacts have
been instrumental in moving from outlandish/untested ideas into
sustainable business models.

Unconferences have the advantage of giving you a greater likelihood
of deriving something useful, since you can insert yourself and your
topics into the agenda. :)

I asked Morriss Partee, one of podcamp's organizers (Twitter handle
<https://twitter.com/mmpartee>https://twitter.com/mmpartee), for some
thoughts and testimonials I could share with Hidden Techies.

Here's a few he passed along:

Feedback from a PodCamp virgin:

"In all, my first PodCamp was a great experience. It was super fun
and the unconference style made it really casual, friendly and
enjoyable. Everyone had interesting questions to ask and topics to
discuss, and it was fantastic to learn a little something new from
everyone I met." -Siobahn Kinney, Social Media Queen/Internet Warrior

What one writer gets from attending PodCamp:

"Ever since my first PodCamp (PodCamp CT, October 2010), I've been a
PodCamp die-hard. I love the energy, the sessions - and the lessons
learned. PodCamp WesternMass 4 was no different." -Christine Parizo,
Copywriter/editor

An artist reflects on PodCamp WesternMass 4:

"This past Saturday, I arrived at HCC to my first pod camp. It was
everything I expected it to be and more. It was interesting, rich in
resources, focused on new media and yes, slightly chaotic." -Rennata
Tropeano, Artist

Hopefully we'll have a good Hidden Tech representation at the
upcoming podcamp, and stay tuned for more Hidden Tech programming
announcements.

- Jon Reed, Founding Hidden-Tech Board Member