[Hidden-tech] License Agreement - State of Jurisdiction Question

William Loving contact at dedicationtechnologies.com
Mon Jun 17 18:29:58 EDT 2013

Standard licensing agreements, including for FileMaker software, always include a clause about jurisdiction, something like:

"This Agreement shall be interpreted, enforced and construed and the rights of the parties hereunder governed in all respects by the laws of the Commonwealth of <vendor's home state> ..."

I've never had anyone object to this clause before as part of the terms of the license agreement for my StudioSchool Pro solution, but a state University that is otherwise ready to purchase my solution is telling me that they are bound by law to only agree to adjudication in their state and that "99.9% of all vendors", large and small, agree to that change. Developer colleagues - those I've spoken to thus far - who ONLY sell to for-profit businesses - tell me "don't do it" and that that's a "deal breaker" for them, but they don't sell to Universities or government institutions.

Anyone have experience or thoughts on this?

Will

--

William M. Loving
Dedication Technologies, Inc.