[Hidden-tech] Health insurance as a freelancer

Jeff Rutherford jeff at jeffrutherford.com
Sun Jan 13 13:05:15 EST 2013

I would second what Reva said. My wife and I have used HSA for years via the Massachusetts Business Association. My wife and I are both self-employed. We have to pay an extremely high monthly payment for our family health plan - 2 adults and 2 kids (dental for the kids, but no dental for the adults). We've investigated a high-deductible plan, but even those are expensive monthly despite any savings you might make with the high-deductible structure.

And, our monthly costs for health insurance have steadily climbed every single year.

Sadly in all the political posturing about the U.S. health care system, very little was mentioned about the impact of health insurance on entrepreneurs. If people didn't have to stick with certain jobs to hang onto reasonably priced health insurance, I think we'd see a lot more entrepreneurs taking the leap to start their own businesses.

Jeff

Jeff Rutherford
jeff at jeffrutherford.com
413-475-0087