[Hidden-tech] Looking for MacBook Donation for Zambian NGO

William Loving contact at dedicationtechnologies.com
Mon Dec 23 09:06:44 EST 2013

I'm looking for someone who might have a MacBook or MacBook Pro that they would be willing to donate as a tax deductible donation to New Vision for Africa, a Zambian-based NGO that I've been working with for a number of years. (NVFA is both a 501(c)(3) non-religious charitable organization and a government registered charity in Zambia). The laptop is for the use of the organization's director, Rev. Abednego Mambwe whose current machine - also donated - was accidentally and irreparably damaged. Abednego is in the US at this time and finding him something now is far easier than shipping to Zambia.

I initially got connected with New Vision for Africa through my work with World Computer Exchange in the Boston area; they send working but retired computers to partner organizations around the world. NVFA has done a number of projects in the past, including, with my help, acquiring 8 cargo contains of computers (approximately 3200, mostly Macs). With assistance from UNICEF and private donors, these computers were repaired as required, setup and then distributed to secondary schools, technical colleges and NGOs in Zambia. Other projects include farmer education, small entrepreneur assistance, developing a honey cooperative, and recently organizing to setup a Grameen-type micro-lending institution. There is a very simple slide show at http://newvisionforafrica.org from some years ago that shows one of the first shipments and the UNICEF supported warehouse and repair facility.

In the past, Hidden-Tech members have been extremely generous in donating laptops and other equipment for use by NVFA for it's staff members as they travel around Zambia, and desktop machines for the schools and teachers. I'm not currently collecting desktop machines but if you have a functional laptop you would be willing to donate we would be very appreciative. If you need it, I can make sure you get a tax receipt for your donation.

Sincerely,

Will

Will Loving, President
Dedication Technologies, Inc.