[Hidden-tech] Comcast outrageous

Gyepi SAM gyepi-hidden-tec at praxis-sw.com
Sun Dec 8 03:15:09 EST 2013

On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 08:08:12PM +0000, DAVID SPOUND wrote:
> I just spent nearly 3 hours on the phone with Comcast. As some of you may know, Comcast is requiring customers who have older modems to upgrade. The modem upgrade is "free".

Aye, 3 hours is too much.

Unless Comcast is giving you a special deal of some sort, comcast modems are not
really free; I recall that they charge $3 to $5/month.

If you plan to use the service for more than ~2 years, its cheaper to buy your own modem,
which also has the advantage of being your choice and under your control.
You can buy cable modems from a big box tech gadget store but I usually order
them online. Comcast maintains a list of compatible modems so you may want to
review that before you hit the buy button.

You can choose to buy one without wireless or simply disable the wireless if it has one.

Once it arrives, you just need to plug it in and call Comcast to inform them
that you have your own modem. They'll ask you for the MAC address and take it
from there.

-Gyepi