[Hidden-tech] Direct TV conclusions

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Sat Dec 7 11:13:05 EST 2013

Digital antenna:

Don't get fooled. An antenna is an antenna. It matters not if the show is
analog, digital, an old movie or whatever.

Next, don't get fooled by an ad placed in the Republican a while back.
There is an old fashioned bow-tie antenna in fancy plastic for a high price.

So for ch 40 & Fox. I believe they are on the same transmitter (That is the
wonder of digital TV), and I believe it is located on Mt Tom as is WGBY
(PBS) which now has 4 separate "channels." Again the wonder of digital.

Antenna for FOX & PBS. Yes, where you live IS the issue. First try the UHF
"ring" antenna that came with your TV. Give your test a few days, this
digital stuff is weather, air traffic, and tree cover sensitive.

If that antenna doesn't work, then try something with more gain. I would
suggest a two-bay  bow-tie. These antennas were popular back in the day.
Two or three bucks at a local tag sale is a reasonable price.

If that doesn't provide enough signal, then the antenna will be outdoors.
Radio Shack has useful antennas for a real price.

Always remember that the loss in the cable to the antenna eats up the gain
of the antenna, unless there is an amplifier placed AT the antenna. An amp
at the TV set does no good.

Often an outdoor antenna has too much lossy cable and so total performance
suffers.

Jim Ussailis

PS All TV channels are "virtual" channels. The actual channel numbers are
different. I find that Ch 22 has moved to Ch 11, although it is still
labeled as Ch 22. This is important because there is a wide frequency
change between Ch 13 & 14. Chs 7 thru 13 are in the VHF band, Ch 14 to 51
are UHF. That bow-tie will probably not work on Ch 11.

>From my place (Florence) everything else that I receive is in the UHF band.

Original email: