[Hidden-tech] Verizon: the only game in town?

Gyepi SAM gyepi-hidden-tec at praxis-sw.com
Fri Dec 6 14:31:59 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 09:43:54PM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:

> Western Mass *IS* a third
> world country (except some 'third world' countries actually have modern 21st
> centry phone service).

I'm in South Africa for the academic year and can tell you that there is pretty
good phone (mobile & wired) service everywhere. I live in a tertiary town
which used to be a homeland during the apartheid days. It is very much in the
boondocks but I get DSL here. It's not great but it works most of the time.

Though this is rather unusual; in most parts of Africa, people just use mobile
phones and wireless data services, which is ubiquitous and cheap.

-Gyepi