[Hidden-tech] Old Word question

Don Lesser dlesser at ptraining.com
Mon Dec 2 15:44:40 EST 2013

Do you have to update? Can you open them using the latest version of Word?
(You must have used Word or some other program rather than OS9 to actually
create the files.)  If you can open them, you can just leave them alone. Or,
convert them to make sure they are accessible going forward. What is a lot
of files? 10, 20, 50, 100? Think about having to retype it if you need it or
scan it or pay someone to do it for you.

If you get into Word, select Open, select the folder, then select all of the
files in the folder (click on the first, SHIFT+Click on the last), then
click Open, you will open them en masse. Then, you can select Save As for
each one. Slightly less painful than open and close for each one. As for
this being an MS Word evil, well, many programs change their file formats
over time to accommodate new features and I'd rather have the option to
update than not.

I would not convert them to PDFs. You can edit them (in the latest version
of Word, for example), but the process is much more painful and converting
from a PDF requires more steps. I converted a novel written on a mainframe
in 1981 to four different word processors over the years and each time I was
happy to be able to do it at all.

Don Lesser
Pioneer Training, Inc.
139B Damon Road, Ste 8