[Hidden-tech] FW: MassTLC: Help Repeal the Tech Tax

Rich Roth webmaster at hidden-tech.net
Fri Aug 16 15:27:38 EDT 2013

HT'ers - here is a Boston based group taking some action about the IT tech Tax.

Note: by my understanding, Mass TLC should have stood up a whole lot sooner to
head off the passing of that Tax in the first place - that is one of their charges.

http://www.masstlc.org/

Rich/HT list/web master - and HT board member

Mass Tech Leadership Council

Dear MassTLC Members,

There has been a lot of activity on the Tech Tax issue over the past week, including a
bill filed by Senator Spilka for its repeal! This email outlines a few of the actions
MassTLC is taking, things you can do to help, and opportunities to learn more. Please join
us in taking action to support the repeal of this tax. Thank you,

Tom Hopcroft
CEO & President

MassTLC has been working diligently to mitigate the impact of the tax, or get it repealed
outright. Here are some of the actions MassTLC has taken:

  * CEO Tom Hopcroft is one of twenty business leaders that filed a petition to put the
    repeal of the tech tax on the ballot.

  * Educating lawmakers and making the case for repeal. See the Boston Business Journal
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.uncwjaoab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bizjournals.com%2Fboston%2Fprint-edition%2F2013%2F08%2F16%2Fwhy-the-tech-tax-is-bad-policy.html>
    and BostInno
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.vncwjaoab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=http%3A%2F%2Fbostinno.streetwise.co%2F2013%2F08%2F15%2Fhelp-repeal-the-tech-tax-five-reasons-its-worth-five-minutes-of-your-time%2F>.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/print-edition/2013/08/16/why-the-tech-tax-is-bad-policy.html

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2013/08/15/help-repeal-the-tech-tax-five-reasons-its-worth-five-minutes-of-your-time/

  * Set up an online advocacy tool
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.h9fud4nab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=http%3A%2F%2Fma--techvoice.capwiz.com%2Ftechvoice%2Fma%2Fissues%2Falert%2F%3Falertid%3D62826376>
    for companies to share the impact of the tax with their lawmakers.

    http://ma--techvoice.capwiz.com/techvoice/ma/issues/alert/?alertid=62826376

  * Helping narrow the scope of the tax through Department of Revenue focus groups.

  * Created aforum with tax experts
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.i9fud4nab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eventbrite.com%2Fevent%2F7863340463>
    for members to learn what they need to know to comply with the law.

    http://www.eventbrite.com/event/7863340463

Given that most lawmakers voted for the original bill, we need to "get loud" so they
understand the impact the tax will have if it remains on the books. Here's how you can
make your voice heard and support the bill to repeal the tax:

  * Take five minutes to send a letter to your state Senator and Rep. We've made it simple
    with this online advocacy tool.

    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.h9fud4nab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=http%3A%2F%2Fma--techvoice.capwiz.com%2Ftechvoice%2Fma%2Fissues%2Falert%2F%3Falertid%3D62826376>http://ma--techvoice.capwiz.com/techvoice/ma/issues/alert/?alertid=62826376
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.h9fud4nab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=http%3A%2F%2Fma--techvoice.capwiz.com%2Ftechvoice%2Fma%2Fissues%2Falert%2F%3Falertid%3D62826376>

  * Call, email, tweet (hashtag #techtax), snail mail, and visit the lawmakers who
    represent you - in both your home and work districts.

  * ContactSenate President Therese Murray
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.wncwjaoab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=https%3A%2F%2Fmalegislature.gov%2FPeople%2FProfile%2FT_M0>
    and Speaker of the House Robert DeLeo
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.xncwjaoab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=https%3A%2F%2Fmalegislature.gov%2Fpeople%2Fprofile%2Frad1>
    to share the impact on your business and jobs.

    https://malegislature.gov/People/Profile/T_M0

    https://malegislature.gov/people/profile/rad1

  * Blog about it and share your stories with the press.

  * Talk it up, forward the link to our online advocacy tool
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.h9fud4nab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=http%3A%2F%2Fma--techvoice.capwiz.com%2Ftechvoice%2Fma%2Fissues%2Falert%2F%3Falertid%3D62826376>;
    Get at least five other executives to tell their story to lawmakers.

MassTLC has organized a special members-only briefing with tax experts and is seeking your
input on future advocacy initiatives.

  * How to comply with the Tech Tax
  * Join tax experts on Tuesday, August 27th, from 12-1:00pm, for this member-only
    briefing as we seek to demystify the new Tech Tax. This conference call focuses
    exclusively on what companies need to know to comply. Sign up here
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.i9fud4nab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eventbrite.com%2Fevent%2F7863340463>

  * Interested in getting more involved in advocacy?
    Fill out this brief questionnaire
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.s977d4nab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=http%3A%2F%2Fsurvey.constantcontact.com%2Fsurvey%2Fa07e7zzugn6hkbax55b%2Fstart%3Fs%3D>
    and let us know the policy issues that keep you up at night.

  * Stay Informed
    Bookmark MassTLC's policy page
    <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=wbonjaoab.0.yncwjaoab.zpel89w7.0&ts=S0940&r=3&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.masstlc.org%2F%3Fpage%3DPolicy>
    for updates and advocacy resources.