[Hidden-tech] Need adapter to download video content to MacBook Pro

Steven Brewer limako at bierfaristo.com
Tue Apr 30 12:12:53 EDT 2013

On 4/30/13 11:58 AM, Deborah Chandler wrote:
> My niece, a student at GCC, needs an adapter to download video content onto
> her MacBook Pro. The video camera is a Sony brand, about 10 years old, uses
> videotapes not digital, and uses firewire to download to a computer. The
> challenge is that the new MacBook Pro does not support firewire. I believe
> it is a USB port she needs to adapt to, maybe mini USB. (But I can clarify
> if someone may possibly have what she needs)

Note that although the camera may have a USB port, the USB port will
probably only allow you to download still images from the camera's flash
memory: You almost certainly need a 4-pin firewire 400 connection to get
the video (in digital format).

This thread describes a solution:
  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3293137

I'm sorry, but I don't have the necessary parts to loan out. You might
check with Amherst Media -- minimally, they can almost certainly help
you get the data off the camera and then transfer the files some other way.

Best wishes,

--
Steven D. BREWER <limako at bierfaristo.com>
http://blog.bierfaristo.com/