[Hidden-tech] Report tool for SQL Server

Reva Reck reva at revareck.com
Wed Sep 19 10:22:04 EDT 2012

Crystal is probably the easiest to use. SQL does have it's own reporting,
but I've never been a fan their development software. By the time you wade
through their default folders and figure out permissions and various
quirks.... It works well for larger companies who need that level of
complexity, but it's never seemed worth the effort of learning it.

The tool I like most is not, strictly speaking, a report writer. It's a set
of relational database tools which can access SQL databases and also has its
own file structure. It's called Alpha5. You can check it out at
www.AlphaSoftware.com  Because it's not just a report writer, you can use it
to create additional tables and integrate those tables with the SQL
database. If the SQL DB is packaged software, you wouldn't want to change
that, but you might want to include info in your report that's not already
in your database. A5 offers tools for developing both desktop and web-based
(inter or intranet) apps, and has just added tools for mobile apps. For
people with a little IT background, it's very easy to use.

It's also reasonably priced. Full disclosure: I'm a reseller, but they can
also buy directly from A5. They can download an eval copy and check it out
for a month. I'd be happy to answer questions.