[Hidden-tech] who can deliver me?

Gyepi SAM gyepi-hidden-tec at praxis-sw.com
Tue Oct 23 10:47:24 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 06:10:14PM -0400, Robin MacRostie wrote:
> This has been going on for months.  There is a recorded message with an
> option to press a number to discontinue receiving calls.   That response
> has been ignored repeatedly as have requests to live operator.  The pitch
> begins  with a free offer and scare  statistics aimed at seniors that claim
> to be from an  FBI report.  Nothing deters these scammers.  They seem to be
> harvesting numbers from autofill on the internet.   their name, Home
> Protection always comes up.   The name comes up  on autofillfor the do not
> call registry  site as well.

I used to get these kinds of calls quite frequently despite being on the DNC
registry, but it all stopped after I ported my landline numbers to Google Voice [1].

Now, most spam calls are blocked; I can see them in the spam folder.
The occasional one that eludes the filters is quickly marked as spam
and peace is restored. I just checked: 40 spam calls in the past 30 days!

I am not suggesting you do the same thing, but it did work for me.
Unfortunately, I don't know of any other phone provider with similar
offerings.

-Gyepi

[1] These clarifications are slightly tangential to the original question:

Porting landlines to GV is slightly complicated, but not difficult.
The numbers are still being used as a landlines; I use an Obi202 Voip
phone adapter to bridge the analog/digital divide.