[Hidden-tech] Stereo Speaker Repair

Tom Kopec tek at acm.org
Sat Mar 3 18:02:31 EST 2012

Do you want them repaired so that they just make noise, or do you want
them repaired so that they sound like they are supposed to sound? (no
bias apparent in that question, eh?)

If the former, any local shop who is willing to take a crack at 'em is
probably fine. I haven't dealt with airwaves for many years now, but
when I last did they seemed to be reasonable folk. You'll get generic
replacement drivers.

If the latter, however, you are going to need to find a place that works
on those speakers and has parts access (or can rebuild the damaged
parts). These are MB Quarts? I don't know if they still do home audio..
but the current usa contact for them seems to be
http://www.mbquart.com/support_main.html, maybe worth a phone call (if
nothing else, they may be able to point you at somebody that works with
the home audio lines). Also, searching on a site like audiokarma might
turn up some enthusiasts that have a lead on a good repair/rebuild for
those specific speakers.

...tom