[Hidden-tech] Mandarin Chinese font?

Roger Williams roger at qux.com
Fri Mar 2 12:39:21 EST 2012

Fonts on modern operating systems are Unicode, i.e. they contain all of the various non-Latin fonts at standard font codes, rather than by using code maps as was common in OSes from the 80s. They won't appear as substitutes for Latin characters, the way Symbol font does, for instance. Have you looked at the fonts in Font Book and paged down to the Chinese code pages to see what's there?

It sounds as if you don't write Chinese, so a Chinese input method (installed when you enable Chinese as one of your languages) such as Pinyin won't be useful. But you can copy-and-paste text from your browser and change the font to something more attractive, or simply select the characters you want from the character map in your publishing application (e.g. Pages or InDesign).

--
Roger Williams <roger at qux.com>
Chief Technical Officer, Qux Corporation

Laura Radwell <lradwell at me.com> wrote:

Yes.  When I select the type and one of the Asian fonts, no Asian characters appear.  I wonder if there is a plug-in that is needed to activate these fonts?

Laura Radwell

lradwell at me.com