[Hidden-tech] Discussion platform

Loran Saito ldsaito at comcast.net
Mon Jul 30 12:27:34 EDT 2012

Hello,

I'm looking for a user-managed web platform with discussion group functionality similar to Facebook groups, but not referring users back to Facebook or any other external site. I have been using Squarespace for this particular website, but it doesn't have the features I want:

Closed group that a person can join on request
Clearly threaded discussions
E-mail notification when a new discussion topic or other new item is posted
Integration into a web page

The client wants to develop a lively community centered around the website's content, through which conversations would add to the content. Similar to Facebook, new posted messages would bring group members to the website.

Thanks for any advice you can provide on this low-tech question.

Loran