[Hidden-tech] Local Auto Insurance

Bruce Hooke bghooke at att.net
Tue Jul 3 12:00:54 EDT 2012

Alvin-San,

I know this is not what you asked, but I'd encourage you to think carefully about whether you really need a local agent you can sit down in front of. I've been insuring my car through AMICA for 25 years and I have never met someone from AMICA in person except when they sent someone out to look at my car that had been totalled by a tree branch, but when I call them they are always great to deal with. They consistently get top ratings for customer service. When I need something like a Canadian Insurance card for a trip to Canada they mail it out the same day and I get it a day or two later.

I mention this just because I feel like many people get wrapped up in thinking they should have a local agent for their car insurance even though the actual insurance company is inevitably some big company in another state and even though there is really almost nothing that can't be done over the telephone, by email and by mail.

I know this is a personal decision. Some people really like having a face to associate with the company. My bais may partly come from having lived in half a dozen states in the last 25 years and really liking just being able to call up and give the insurance company my new address rather than having to find a new agent and new insurance. Also, since I live up in the hilltowns things like insurance agents are never local so I would do everything by phone anyway even if the agent were in Northampton.

Good luck in your search.

Bruce

  _____