[Hidden-tech] resume writer

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Sat Feb 4 11:08:33 EST 2012

Not to take this off track, but . . .

She should really get the latest copy of the book, "What Color is Your Parachute?" This has been the
bible for job hunters since I graduated from college in the 1970's. It gets updated every year and
now covers all the internet and social media aspects of job hunting as well. It also has a companion
web site.

I used that book in the 1970's and found it helpful. I used the then latest edition in the late
1990's and found it helpful. I got the latest edition for my daughter a couple of years ago. One of
the points the book makes is that if all you have is your resume, and your strategy is to just keep
sending it out, then you are really missing out on the majority of the opportunities and not taking
the best advantage of the ones you are taking a shot at.

Especially for someone late in their career or changing careers, this book can be an eye opener and
can make a real difference.

Do get some help from a resume writer, but don't stop there. Job hunting should be attacked like a
job in itself. Best wishes and good luck to her.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
    O__  ---- Systems Administrator
   c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
  (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu>

Erdös 4