[Hidden-tech] Exede satellite service?

Reva Reck reva at revareck.com
Mon Apr 23 19:13:54 EDT 2012

I know a few people who have gotten the Exede satellite service. For most of
them it is, indeed, significantly faster than regular satellite. Only one
person is having a problem and can't seem to get good speed consistently.
All satellite service suffers from a latency problem - the time it takes to
send the signal up to the satellite and then for the satellite to send it
back down. This isn't significant if you're just browsing the web, but if
you're trying to do something like connect to a remote computer by VPN,
Exede isn't much better than regular satellite.  Another issue with Exede is
that you pay by the amount you use, so if you're doing a lot of downloading
(videos, etc), it can get pretty pricey. But for routine web stuff, most of
the people I know who have it say it's much better than the old satellite
service they had.

Of course, long-term the solution we all need is fiber. If your friend lives
in one of the WiredWest towns (see
http://wired-west.net/participating-towns/regional-map/ ), she can bring the
day she'll have REALLY fast internet closer by contributing to WiredWest at
www.WiredWest.net   Right now we're preparing to seek bond financing and we
need seed money to expedite that process.

-Reva