[Hidden-tech] PDF creation problem from Mac

eac2222 at gmail.com eac2222 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 09:32:55 EDT 2012

Stacy --

It sounds to me also like it may be a problem with the Word file
rather than particularly a PDF problem.

What I would try --

1) Have you done a "Save As" to a new filename recently?  This tosses
all the old content and modifications, and starts fresh.  It can
decrease the filesize too, if it's been a while since the last Save
As.

2) Another way to start fresh is to open a new, blank, Word document.
Set whatever document format you need to match the old document, then
copy your content, paste it in, and Save.

3) If it were me, I'd do the above but in chunks.  First maybe paste
in a quarter of your document and try the PDF.  And so on.

The problem with doing it in chunks is that if you have a lot of
items that need sequential numbering -- not just page numbers, but a
ToC, figure numbers, section numbers, etc. -- creating your final
output in chunks will wreak havoc with the autonumbering.  OTOH,
chunks can at least narrow down where the problem is, and maybe then
you'll need only to re-place one problem image to fix the file, or
something like that.

Finally, I quite like PDFLab (free) for combining several PDFs into
one, but comments say it won't run under 10.6 and higher.  "Combine
PDFs" seems to be a newer free application doing the same thing.

Have you tried printing to Postscript and then making a PDF?

Good luck!  Hope this helps,

Eric A. Cohen   |   eac2222 at gmail.com