[Hidden-tech] .com/.co/.org/.biz/.net/.info/.tv/.mobi etc.

Jordan Lee Wagner jordan at webjew.org
Sat Apr 14 23:06:35 EDT 2012

On 4/14/2012 10:18 PM, Dede Wilson wrote:
> Jordan, this was the most thorough and helpful answer so
> far. I have actually just gobbled up a bunch of them. Will
> tell more when time appropriate.
>
> Dede

The only other advice I can add is:

Don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish.  Many domains are
available on the secondary market at prices that make good
business sense to acquire.  When you are poking around for
your domain(s) don't consider only names that are still
available for registration.  If you find one that is ideal
for your business on the secondary market, and the
cost-benefit analysis works out, get it.

If you are in a niche market, or your brick-and-mortar
business name is unique, then you might be able to find the
perfect internet brand name still available for
registration.   But most of us won't be that lucky.

Even if you already have your ideal brand, it might make
sense to invest some of your advertising/marketing budget in
generic domains for type-in traffic or for lead generation
websites.  For example: How much would you have to spend in
advertising to get 200 qualified leads per month?  500?
1000?  What would a relevant generic domain cost that would
garner that much type-in traffic?

Another example:  a plumber typically pays $40 for a
qualified lead from someone with a generic plumbing website
designed to rake in customers from all over the country and
funnel them to local plumbers.

A few years back, any hotel could have registered
hotels.com.  None of them did.  They all registered only
their own brands.  Now they each pay the guy who registered
hotels.com a few hundred thousand a year for the
leads/reservations.

--- Jordan
sales at trupod.com
(617) 953-6787
Trupod Internet Services:
domain brokerage and registration services,
hosting and web development