[Hidden-tech] calling all designers

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Sep 29 18:36:30 EDT 2011

At Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:53:15 -0400 schlegel wilcox <gnansense at gmail.com> wrote:

>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> Wondering what designers think about screen size. Do you have a laptop or
> desktop? Do you hook either up to a larger monitor? What are the screen
> sizes of those items? How small do you go on laptop screen size?
> Thanks,
> NancyA

I have a desktop with a 17" monitor and a screen resolution of 1024x768.

I also have a laptop, a Thinkpad X31, with a 12" (I think) screen and a
screen screen resolution of 1024x768.

I am not a *web designer*.  I am a computer programmer.  I am also an
old-school UNIX user and until recently *never* maximized program
windows.  Now I *needed* to maximize my Firefox window, since almost all
web sites just do not work properly with a 600x800 window.

*I* think:

1) Web Designers need to have a 'low-bandwidth' Friday, where their
bandwidth is cut back to dialup speeds one day a month, to give them a
'feel' for how the web sites they design (don't) work for dial up users.

2) Web Designers need to have a 'small screen' Monday where they are
forced to use smaller screens or run at a lower resolution, so they can
see how their web sites look and feel on smaller screens.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com