[Hidden-tech] UMass MBA Outreach - Wish List Problem Solving

Claire Spencer llssco at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 11:18:40 EDT 2011

Hi Hidden-Techers,

As an MBA student at UMass Amherst, I am actively trying to get our
MBAs connected into the community as a resource.

Two graduate clubs, NAWMBA and NetImpact, have a conference coming up, and
it is my hope that we will be able to engage both MBAs and local businesses
for a more interactive conference than the traditional "panels only" style.
As such, we are reaching out to both established businesses and startups
around the region for an opportunity to present a challenging question for
round-table workshopping with MBAs and other professionals. We have room for
10-12 challenges and seek a diversity of issues so that conference attendees
may have some variety to choose from.

Below is a link to sign up if you're interested - I would really love it if
we get some of you involved!!

---

Call for applications!

Do you have a "wish list" business issue that you just don't have time to
work on? Are you tired of the same issue and want a different perspective
into a solution? Are you facing a challenge and want the opinion of
creative, experienced and informed professionals and MBAs?

NetImpact UMass <http://isenberg.umass.edu/netimpact/> and NAWMBA
UMass<http://isenberg.umass.edu/nawmba/> are
actively seeking businesses and startups who would be interested in
presenting their own real-life challenge for small collaborative
workshopping by participants in our fall conference.

*CONFERENCE INFORMATION:*
*Saturday, November 19th, 2011*
*8:30am to 1:00pm*
*UMass, Amherst*
**
The first part of the conference will include a panel that will discuss how
businesses with sustainability as a focus of their mission transitioned into
larger firms, corporations, or maintained their mission during and after a
buyout. While we are actively seeking participation from all regional
businesses, we will give some preference to business problems that relate to
an aspect of sustainability - and everything that broad term encompasses**
(see below)

If interested, please use the link below to contact us with your basic
information and Claire Spencer, PR Chair of NAWMBA will be in touch shortly.
Business Workshop Application - November 19th,
2011<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEF5TWdMQW1zVDJYdkVlbndnT1JBNVE6MQ>

Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEF5TWdMQW1zVDJYdkVlbndnT1JBNVE6MQ

Claire Spencer
MBA Candidate 2012
The Isenberg School
cspencer at som.umass.edu
(413) 847-1126

**Sustainability <http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Sustainability>

   - Institutional sustainability: i.e. can the strengthened institutional
   structure continue to deliver the results of the technical cooperation to
   the ultimate end-users? The results may not be sustainable if, for example,
   the planning unit strengthened by the technical cooperation ceases to have
   access to top-management or is not provided with adequate resources for the
   effective performance after the technical cooperation terminated;

   - Economical and financial sustainability: i.e. can the results of the
   technical cooperation continue to yield an economic benefit after the
   technical cooperation is withdrawn? For example, the benefits from the
   introduction of new crops may not be sustained, if the constraints to
   marketing the crops are not resolved. Similarly, economic (distinct from
   financial) sustainability may be at risk, if the end-users continue to
   depend on heavily-subsidized activities and inputs.

   - Ecological sustainability: i.e. are the benefits to be generated by the
   technical cooperation likely to lead to a deterioration in the physical
   environment (thus indirectly contributing to a fall in production) or
   well-being of the groups targeted and their society?