[Hidden-tech] what uses electricity when it is plugged in?

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Sun Sep 25 22:36:02 EDT 2011

There was an interesting show on Myth Busters about leaving lights on. Yes
there is a savings if you turn off and then turn on a florescent lamp
within a few seconds. Otherwise turn it off, that saves $$.

The Direct TV box depends if it has volatile memory or not. Just like your
computer. The BIOS in your computer still works even if the computer is
shut off. That memory is non-volatile.

That's something I would have checked when I didn't have much stored in it.

My camera has non-volatile memory, but the Sony portable radio doesn't. I
have one minute to change a run down battery, or I have to reset the time,
date, etc.

Jim Ussailis