[Hidden-tech] what uses electricity when it is plugged in?

Robin MacRostie rmacr at choreographicdesign.com
Thu Sep 22 17:12:40 EDT 2011

This may sound silly, but it's one of those little household details that that create tension in a household.  An article on the internet said:
"...Many of us with use the remote to switch off the TV or stereo, leaving the appliance running on standby.

This actually means the appliance is still using up electricity and wastes a considerable amount of energy. By switching off at the main power button, or even the socket, you could be saving both energy and money.

Items left on standby use up to 85% of the energy they would use if fully switched on. An extra million tons of carbon will be released into the atmosphere through this power wastage..."

I need a real, accredited, expert on electricity use to ask this question:

One of our housemates insists that unplugging anything saves electricity.

I had heard something like that and  try to unplug the power strip with computer and all peripherals at night.

I also unplug the cellphone charger.   If I do that, doesn't it also make sense to unplug the battery chargers?   What about the emergency lights that are plugged into the socket?    They are set to "auto" so that they will go on in a power failure.

 Now I'm feeling really guilty.

How about the portable landline phone?  The fax machine?   Then I have to reset the date every day!  The washer and dryer in the basement?

Do I really save a bunch by unplugging the lamps, the blender and the coffee grinder?