[Hidden-tech] Verizon blockage problem (long post)

James Triplett jm-hiddentech at vj8.net
Thu Sep 15 17:06:00 EDT 2011

On (15/09/11 04:50), Marcia Yudkin wrote:
> Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 04:50:24 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Marcia Yudkin <yudkinyudkin at yahoo.com>
> To: hidden-discuss at lists.hidden-tech.net
> Subject: [Hidden-tech] Verizon blockage problem (long post)
>
>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> Hi techies!
>
> Since last Saturday, I've had a weird problem with Verizon DSL and have finally narrowed down the possibilities.  It appears that Verizon is blocking me from accessing certain web sites - including at times my Pair.com mail server, sometimes my own web sites hosted by Pair, and almost all the time my shopping cart site.  Everything else appears to be working.
>
> Here's what we have eliminated:
>
> 1)The problem occurs identically on all three computers hooked up to our home network.

I found the following post on a technical group I subscribe to; it may be relevant to your issue:

	Over the past week, we've discovered that there is an issue with the way
	some Verizon DSL customers are being routed in Western Massachusetts that is
	preventing them from reaching my employers public IPs. The problem is only
	limited to Verizon DSL customers, everyone else can reach these IP addresses
	just fine. After many hours on the phone with Verizon tech support, I
	finally managed to get myself and one of my coworker's home dsl connections
	switched from a "redback router" to a "juniper router" which resolved the
	issue, but only for us. I was told that everyone else in the area that is
	being affected by the issue have to individually call Verizon tech support,
	go through the same multi-hour troubleshooting steps, and if the technician
	is bright enough to recognize what is going on, get their issue escalated up
	to the central office where (in 2-4 business days) they will be switched
	over to the juniper router. Obviously, this is not the ideal solution.

Good luck,
James