[Hidden-tech] music collection management

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Tue Sep 13 12:58:17 EDT 2011

Just for reference, I have 225 albums (CDs) that are mostly classical on my work computer, and I'm
only using about 80G total (for MacOS, applications, work, music, everything) on a 600G drive. Less
than 14G of that is my music. So, 300 CDs is really almost nothing as far as digital storage space
is concerned these days. I've put them into iTunes over the course of years, as I acquired them or
in batches when I wanted to listen for stuff I already had. I even look them up on Amazon to grab a
copy of the cover art for iTunes. The CDs themselves live at home -- some in the living room and
some in my daughters room, where she listens to them. Personally, I like the original packaging, and
we have CD "bookshelves" at home. We only use the CD cases with vinyl sleeves when traveling in the car.

I don't use an iPod. I have Bose noise canceling headphones that I use at work (I could actually use
those with an iPod). I had an iPod touch, but found I never used it. So, I gave it to my brother in
law, who is totally into music and really appreciated it. Actually, I did use it once, on a trip, in
the airplane, and where they happened to have iHomes in the hotel rooms (the headphones were awesome
for canceling the flight noise). But, that's not a big deal to me. We're more likely to be sleeping
in a tent and listening to the natural sounds around us.

Anyway, it's pretty straightforward (although somewhat time consuming) to put them into iTunes (you
can do other things while they are being imported). Then back up your digital iTunes library to
another drive. But, if you use Time Machine, you should get that anyway. And you should use Time
Machine. The only difficult thing will be deciding what music you want on your iPod/iPhone/MP3
player, since they probably won't have the space for all of it.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
    O__  ---- Systems Administrator
   c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
  (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu>

Erdös 4