[Hidden-tech] Spammers piggy backing on my website

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Sat Oct 29 14:33:40 EDT 2011

At 8:33 AM -0400 10/29/11, B. Kimo Lee wrote:
>Btw, if you're not already receiving comment spam on your blog, when
>you do, I'd suggest getting an Akismet account and installing the
>Akismet Wordpress plugin. I use the Akismet service on several
>Joomla client sites I maintain and it cut comment spam down to zero.

I used to use Akismet and still do on some of my smaller sites--but
with Akismet, you still have to go in manually and deal with
releasing the false positives, flushing the spam, and unaccepting the
ones it let through.. Now I use Disqus or CommentLuv (different
sites), and I also set all my blog sites to refuse comments on posts
older than two weeks. I don't think any spam has gotten into my blog
with either of those systems, once my VA enabled the spam protection
in CommentLuv.

Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/ shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://www.principledprofit.com/good-business-blog/
Books: http://www.frugalmarketing.com/shop.html