[Hidden-tech] educational iPhone apps

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Mon Oct 17 14:06:13 EDT 2011

Tom,

Rather than providing her with a list of apps that are educational, you could ask her find apps that
she can convince you are educational. Then you have her thinking about it and exploring things that
engage her and that she can defend as educational. That makes her an active participant in the
process and also puts the the dad and daughter in a dialog regarding what it means to be educational.

I never had the smart phone app issue with my daughters, but on computers/internet in general I took
the approach of talking to them about safety and responsibility. I did introduce them to games and
activities that were both engaging and educational, but it was a two way street. They explored on
their own as well and would talk to me about things.

Personally, I think that things that are interactive and make the child think in the process of
playing an engaging game are typically better than "officially" educational software designed by
"educators" to teach or train children. You need to have the "buy in" on the child's part for things
to really work. The best games are often written by people who are pretty close to being kids
themselves (at least in spirit). Worst are reflex games that are just how fast can you do this. Some
of our favorites from days long ago were https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/The_Manhole
and https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Glider_PRO. I actually built/programmed a pretty
extensive glider house for my daughter's birthday that was a sort of treasure hunt interactive with
the real world and ended with a piñata in our garage. The glider house was filled with personalized
graphics and music particular to each girl attending the birthday party.

By 12 they're hitting the rebellion phase, so you should have the foundation of trust and
responsibility already built. Otherwise, it's difficult times ahead (more so). 8th (and/or 9th)
grade is typically a turbulent transitional time, though every child is unique and experiences can
vary all over the map.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
    O__  ---- Systems Administrator
   c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
  (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu>

Erdös 4