[Hidden-tech] who owns a website?

Christine Pilch Christine at GrowMyCo.com
Fri Oct 14 12:59:42 EDT 2011

Margot, I've worked in web development project management for about 15
years, and I have functioned on both sides of the coin. This is very tricky,
and the advice you've been receiving from others about your contract is
significant. But there is another issue that nobody has addressed yet.

Generally, your client likely owns the content that he has supplied, I.E.,
text, photos, graphics. And many web hosts will allow you to take your site
wherever you want, however the tricky part comes in when your site is built
using proprietary programming that the web developer/host owns. In its basic
sense, think of this as the "pages" generated by a customer management
system, (CMS.) So, yes, you can move your site elsewhere, but you generally
cannot take the programming behind the site that actually makes dynamically
generated pages display, so moving such a site is essentially worthless to
you, as you can take the elements, but not the engine that makes it run.

I've encountered very few business sites over the last 10 years that don't
have most, if not all, of their "pages" generated by a CMS. So you need to
have a very strong handle on how your client's site is built before you
entertain moving it elsewhere. If it's old-school, just a group of static
pages without a CMS, you'll probably be fine. If it's running on a CMS,
you'll probably be in trouble.

Good luck!

Best regards,

- Christine

cid:image001.png at 01CA8D67.12D0EB70

Miracle Growth for your Company

Grow My Company

68 Dugan Road

Ware, MA, 01082

413.537.2474

 <mailto:Christine at GrowMyCo.com> Christine at GrowMyCo.com

 <http://growmyco.typepad.com/company/> http://growmyco.com

Connect:  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/christinepilch> Linkedin
<http://www.facebook.com/growmycompany> Facebook
<http://twitter.com/ChristinePilch> Twitter