[Hidden-tech] Android Apps

Jan Werner jwerner at jwdp.com
Mon Oct 10 12:50:20 EDT 2011

Not everyone on this list is an Apple fanboi. I prefer Android.

Here are some of the Android apps I use most often:

Weatherbug Elite: In addition to all the usual weather information and
live widgets showing current conditions, I can have local radar as live
home screen wallpaper on my phone (but only as a widget on a tablet).

Personal Agenda Plus: A live widget displaying upcoming events and tasks
on my home screen. I also various apps (Jorte, Calendar Pad Plus) to get
different views of my Google calendars.

Moon+ Reader Pro: I read a lot on my phone (and tablet, and Nook Touch)
and use a variety of readers, but Moon+ is my top choice for ePubs on
Android devices. Mantano has by far the best library management of any
ereader and supports both ePub and PDF, but does not navigate footnotes
well, which is essential for much of my reading. Repligo is currently my
favorite PDF reader.

ES File Explorer and SwiFTP: Android devices have real file systems and
removable storage (SDcard). ES allows me to browse, move and copy files,
both on my device and on my home LAN via Wifi.  SwiFTP is a server that
allows me access my device's storage from any FTP client. This is more
important for tablets than phones because Android 2.x links storage to a
PC as a USB external drive, but Android 3.x uses MTP (a monstrosity
derived from Windows Media Player, à la iTunes) to link internal storage
to a PC.

Google Voice: I've had the same business phone no. for 18 years, but now
enjoy better service and more features without paying a penny to Verizon
(or anyone else) to keep it separate from my home and cell nos.

Documents To Go: Full function word processing and spreadsheet software
that works with MS Word and Excel documents directly on my device.

I also frequently use Evernote, eWallet, several offline dictionaries,
and news apps like NYTimes, WaPost, LeMonde (French) and ProPublica.

Jan Werner