[Hidden-tech] RIP, Steve Jobs

David Spound dspound at mac.com
Wed Oct 5 22:33:53 EDT 2011

In 1988, Steve Jobs came to the Boston Computer Society to introduce the
NeXT computer (I was an active member of the BCS Macintosh Group). He rented
Symphony Hall and throughout the building they set up displays with their
workstations and laser printers (400 dpi ‹ that was a big deal in those
days). Steve¹s presentation was filled with his vision, his CERTAINTY about
the future of computers (and why Apple Macs and IBM PCs were passé ‹ due to
their use of CISC microprocessors while the NeXT computer used RISC chips).
Also, the NeXT workstations used Display Postscript and had a might higher
resolution than the current Macs. And with his passion and his charisma, we
were all transported into his vision of the future. That was the only time I
saw him live, but of course I have watched nearly every product announcement
he has made since returning to Apple during the fateful MacWorld/Boston.

He was a complex, brilliant, and extraordinary man who touched and changed
many lives. I am saddened by his passing. May his family and friends be
comforted and supported.

David