[Hidden-tech] Looking for optometrist who does his/her own wok

Mitch Anthony mitch at element22.com
Mon Nov 14 11:34:24 EST 2011

Hidden-techers-

For years I bought my eyeglass frames as readers or sunglasses then had my custom prescription lenses put in them.

Starting about 2 years ago I started hearing: "The lab can't do this because they don't have the proper grooves and the lens will pop right out."

Having worn glasses "without the proper grooves" for years I know this not to be true. Instead I suspect that the the optometry labs are trying to protect a traditional profit center that has been eroded by the recent flood of designer readers.

I do know that there are optometrists who still do their own work, and that they are willing to put custom lenses in stock frames - often with the caveat that the customer sign a disclaimer form.

Does anyone know of such an independent contractor in the valley? I know of one in New Haven, but that is too far to drive for a glasses fitting.

As always, your help is appreciated.

Mitch Anthony
http://mitchanthony.us