[Hidden-tech] How to get news in a power outage - REPLY FROM WFCR/NEPR

Tom Novelli tnovelli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 09:10:10 EDT 2011

Marcia/Helen, thanks for bringing this up.  I have a few comments (see below).

> Now that we own WNNZ, we hope to purchase a generator for it (which is also thousands of dollars, a major capital expense), to become our primary broadcast source when WFCR is off. It, too, was the victim until this Wednesday afternoon, of a commercial power failure in Westfield. We're again trying to see if we can get some grants or do some quick fundraising to get generators for both stations (though, once obtained, the weather may impede installing them until spring, but we'll see).

Hmm.. the WNNZ transmitter is very close to a major power line on
route 5-10 in Deerfield.  Too bad it can only be used from Westfield,
apparently.  Would it be possible to broadcast from some place closer
in emergencies, maybe even from a vehicle at the transmitter site?
The ham radio community could fill the void in information-gathering.

Also, WAMC-Albany was up and running throughout the storm but wasn't
really covering the situation here in the valley (not at the times I
checked... and our kitchen radio has been tuned to 90.3 since Sunday).
 WFCR staff could coordinate with WAMC (and other overlapping
stations) next time.  Also, it wouldn't hurt for listeners to call up
whatever station they can hear to let them know they're needed.

> Please note my new email address: hbarrington at nepr.net

Hmm... there's no reason why @wfcr.org emails can't work indefinitely.
 One of us geeks would be happy to set that up if you (WFCR) need
help!  You're still my favorite radio station. :)

-- Tom Novelli    tnovelli.net