[Hidden-tech] How to get news in a power outage

Tom Kopec tek at acm.org
Tue Nov 1 17:37:29 EDT 2011

Unfortunately, broadcast radio really let us down on this one; it has
evolved over the past few decades from a source of local news and
information to a syndicated entertainment system. FM94.7 (which used to
be WMAS, I don't know if it still is) did finally go live and
intermittently gave some useful info.

After the Digital Transition, off-the-air TV is unavailable in my
neighborhood - just not enough signal.

I have a generator, and did have internet service (comcast) for a while
after the power went out at about 6:30PM saturday; but an hour later
comcast went out.

Twisted pair landline phone never went out, though I had dig up an
old-school telephone to use it during the times I was not running the
generator.