[Hidden-tech] AT&T Mobile Hotspot MiFi® 2372 - AT&T BusinessDirect® | Premier Business Center

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Sat May 28 22:43:56 EDT 2011

"Deja vu all over again"

Perhaps I didn't spell it right, but here's the plot.

Many, many years ago we put FM radio in the boss' car. One of the very
first. The plan was a first production run of 5000 units. The boss drove
over the Mystic River Bridge. Next day, we started trying to understand &
fix the problem.

The metal supports of the bridge caused signal reflection so that there was
a woshing sound as he drove near every support. This also occurred when he
drove down the Fenway, here the woshing was caused by the trees that line
the street.

The problem is now known as "multipath" propagation. Signal coming via more
than one path, so the two (or more) signals have a probability of canceling
each other. This is annoying with a weak signal in your car radio.
Computers don't get annoyed.

That gadget will probably work very well sitting on a table in the nearest
bistro, or at a meeting, ball game, etc. But I would worry about it in a
rapidly moving train. It's effectiveness would depend on the distance to
each phone cell site you go past, the amount of vegetation near the tracks,
bridges, etc.

Someday trains will do as planes do now. Use a satellite service for
internet, and place a WiFi access point in each car.

A suggestion; get a good return policy if it doesn't work as well as you
think it should.

Jim Ussailis

BusinessDirect® | Premier Business Center

   ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
   ** If you did, we all thank you.

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web